Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My new company

My company, Magnetic North Enterprises, is now almost five months old. I'm quite happy with the way it's gone. Not entirely smooth sailing—my business registration started last year with getting swindled by a few thousand Pesos—but OPEX is already breaking even at this point. And I'm not even doing business development yet. That's much better than I had hoped.

When people ask me what my business is all about, I get more blank stares than I usually do. And believe me, I'm a person who receives more blank stares than most people, even in ordinary conversation. What I have in mind for my business is rather hard to explain because it's new. I can't say it's a laundromat, or a home massage service, or a call center. The most succinct way of putting it is that it offers marketing communications services to ordinary people and organizations. That still gets blank stares, and understandably so. It's too abstract for most people to imagine because no one really does that yet—at least not in the way that I envision.

The best way to explain is to demonstrate. I'm currently incubating the components that will comprise the business model, and when they're ready for prime time, I'll have no need to explain. But in the meantime, here are a few lines that will give you the rationale for my business.

  • You know how web design companies make expensive, complicated, and hard-to-maintain websites for small businesses and individuals? I make professional websites at low prices. You'll also be able to maintain this simple website yourself, so you won't need to pay me monthly retainer fees. And what? No hosting fees? Yup, no exorbitant monthly hosting fees.
  • You know how (expensive) ad agencies do great branding strategies and communication companies for their clients? Small businesses could never afford these ad agencies. But you'd be able to afford my branding and communications services. I do brand strategy, graphic identity (logo, business cards, etc.), websites, social media and other communications services at an affordable price.
  • You made flyers for your community activity by designing it in Paint, printing it using your inkjet printer, then photocopying it on colored paper. They don't look nice. But you think to yourself, it's ok, I don't have a big budget anyway. What?!? There's a way to make professional-looking communications without breaking the bank. I'll tell you how.
  • You have a personal blog where you'd like the world to be influenced by your opinions. But no one reads your blog except your mom, your sister, and your best friend. I have the solution for that.
  • You have expertise which you'd like to share with other people, and possibly make money out of. But you don't know how. I know! Let me help you.
I know I may have left you hanging off a cliff right there. Unfortunately, mother hen is still warming up her little chicks, so we can't disturb her just yet. When the eggs are about to hatch, I'll let you know. Stay tuned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anything to say? Comment away!